Sunday, January 02, 2005

Obligatory First Post

So here is my first post in "teh college blog"... even though I'm technically not in school right now ^^; There's a summary at the end, feel free to read that if you don't want to read the lonoog post XD

The day after tomorrow marks the official beginning of the work term, although I've started working already. For my first work term, I'm working as a PC Technician for TATUNG Canada, a Taiwanese based electronics company. I had originally applied for the job posting on JobMine (the school's employment portal, for those of you who aren't familiar with it) and they had already hired the four people they had said they would. About two weeks later, they e-mailed me personally and requested that I come in for an interview. The Monday after I moved back home, I went for the interview and then on Tuesday morning, I started my first day at work. ^_^ The hourly salary is next to minimum wage, but I have a job and that's all that matters. Five of my co-workers are also students from UW: three in Computer Engineering (Tim, Eric and Calvin), another in Mechanical Engineering (Jim) and one in Computer Science o.O (Richard).

First (1A) term was pretty eventful. It consisted of the expected: met new people, (attempted to) learn some new things, lived on my own away from parents for the first extended amount of time (although they did visit every weekend), grew up a little, gained a little bit of responsibility and confirmed the fact that I can't manage my finances at all, let alone well ^^;

I didn't Frosh--and I don't have the famous yellow hard hat like every other Engineering student, but I used that first week on campus to familiarize myself with the place on my own anyway. Student loans occupied the majority of my time anyway, but that was all sorted out in the end. Towards the middle of this work term I'll have to re-confirm with the government my employment and study status, so that they loan me more money (hopefully!!) for the Spring term.

There are 119 days left until Spring term lectures start. Four months to work, and save a little bit of money, and ... hopefully next term my marks won't be as dismal. First year doesn't count towards our GPA anyway (or so I hear) and thank goodness I only needed a 50 to pass this term. Every subsequent term from now on I'll need 60s to pass ><

As they are now, my grades are: Math 116, Calculus 1 for Engineers: D; ChE 102, Chemistry for Engineers: D; MTE 100, Mechatronics Engineering 100: B; GenE 121, General Engineering Digital Computation: B; Math 115, Linear Algebra for Engineers: B.

:S The average is a C, but that's okay I passed! XD I wasn't really expecting to pass Chemistry, but I believe they bell-curved it. :( Some of my friends didn't pass several courses, and I wish them all the best in clearing those off their transcripts as soon as possible, since our courses next term have prerequisites.


And for those of you who want to read the summary (some of these I didn't elaborate on but I will if you guys request):
- fried rice with some of the UHS gang during Frosh week
- writing the alphabet 14 times as the first homework assignment
- the microwave blowing up
- ELPE
- Math Prep
- hanging out at Martin and Tony's suites
- coming home only twice (Thanksgiving and Commencement)
- getting drunk(? O_O) for the first time from jello vodka and crashing at Tony's place
- living away from home
- going to Timmy's at 4 in the morning
- missing half of lectures after midterms
- LEGO Design Project
- blowing up the microwave AGAIN
- eating Pho with the girls
- Hooked on Tronics/Tron and Quartered
- RezNet
- Chill 'n Grill
- Magical Trevor and Kenya
- dead baby jokes
- Martin's depressing music

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home